Saturday, June 9, 2012

Tutorial: How to Awesome-ize your iPhone Case

I have a problem, and I'm sure I can't be the only one in the world with this problem, so I'm coming out and screaming it from the hilltops so that others of my kind can join with me in unity:  I AM A SCRAPBOOK PAPER HOARDER!  There I said it.  It's out there now.



I'm the kind of girl that goes into a craft supply shop and sees these amazingly sparkly, cute, or otherwise fantastic pieces of paper and buys them.  Normally that wouldn't be a problem if I actually had a project in mind for them.  BUT I NEVER DO.  I see them and I lose my mind over the *insert attention grabbing detail here* and I grab it before someone else does.  Oh, and never just one sheet, it has to be at least 2 , you know, in case I use one.   Please tell me it's not just me that does this.  Someone?  Anyone?  Bueller?

 If you've been following my blog, you'll know that I was without my glasses for a few days and had to come up with things to keep me busy that didn't require me to see in the distance (read: No TV).  One of the things I decided to do was go through my scrapbook paper collection to see what I actually have in those cases.  I really do have some pretty papers!  I tried to come up with card ideas, but I sell my cards, and I really wanted to keep this paper in my life, so I thought:  "Hey!  Why not cut out a piece of each and use them as inserts for your iPhone case!"  OMG.  Brilliant! I can accessorize and use some of my collection AT THE SAME TIME!  Win- win!  Oh shizz... AND redeem myself with a non-fail tutorial too!  Win-win-win!

How to Awesome-ize Your iPhone Case

Step 1:  Gather your supplies

~ Awesome scrapbook paper (try not to use anything too thick, it makes the case buldgy around your phone)
~ Scissors
~ Utility knife
~ Pencil
~ Clear iPhone case
~ Pretend that ruler is a cutting mat (I have no idea why the ruler is in the pic, and I covered the cutting mat with the paper... don't judge me)

Step 2:  Use your iPhone as a pattern

Place your iPhone on the backside of your selected paper, and trace the outside of it with your pencil.


It should look like this when you are done:


Use your scissors and cut along the pencil line.

Step 3:  Cut out the camera/flash hole

Fit your paper into the clear case, design side out.



Lightly press your finger against the paper under the camera hole so that you can use your pencil to trace the inside of the hole.  Next, take the paper back out of the case and put it on the cutting mat.  Use your utility knife to cut out along the line you just drew.  Try to cut just on the outside of the line so that you don't see any overlap once the case is on.  It should look like this, but neater:


Step 4:  Assemble your snazzy new case!

Clean the inside of your case to get rid of any dust or glitter that might be there.  Pop in your pretty paper, and then your phone.  Voila!  SO USEFUL!


Here's another one I did:


So there you have it!  Now you can accessorize your phone to match your outfit, the season, or just whatever sparks your fancy!   I'd love to see what you guys come up with!  Tweet me your pics @Mostly_Mandy or post links to your creations in the comments section :)

I hope you enjoyed this tutorial!  It went much better than my last one did lol



1 comment:

  1. Ha! I understand your pain...lol! Great idea for using up your stash. Thanks for the wonderful comment you left on my blog. I'll explore later as my 2 tots are all over me right now.

    ReplyDelete